[SystemSafety] Discussion Style [was: Does "reliable" mean "safe" and or "secure" or neither?]

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Apr 24 13:22:43 CEST 2016

On 2016-04-24 11:42 , Ross Hannan - Sigma wrote:
> ... There is a significant difference between a "robust discussion" and what I see as simply bullying.

Please, let's retain a sense of proportion!

Bullying involves plausible threat, and all too often real damage.

An argument about engineering techniques amongst professionals using their real identity in a
publicly-archived forum when there are no formal power relations amongst them cannot plausibly be
construed as bullying, no matter what they say to each other.

Let me take this opportunity to say the following. Bullying does happen, and it is not fun. There
are some people on this list who have been bullied, including myself. Experience is a real help in
dealing with it. If there is anybody here at any time who feels as if they are being bullied, do get
in touch privately, because there are people here whose discretion is assured and who are willing to
help as they can. If you're worried about ensuring discretion, use PGP (there is a plugin for
Thunderbird called Enigmail, and an iOS App called iPGMail which is a little cumbersome but works well).

Oh, no, I can't believe it - it's April 24 and snowing!