[SystemSafety] Does "reliable" mean "safe" and or "secure" or neither?

C. Michael Holloway c.m.holloway at nasa.gov
Sun Apr 24 20:33:21 CEST 2016

Greetings,

I read this list regularly, but comment only rarely, and usually regret
it when I do (for a wide variety of reasons, which are not relevant to
enumerate here).  But this long, mostly tiresome thread has prompted me
to write a short response, which will simply take the form of X
propositions. I believe each of the propositions is true, but will not
provide any arguments to support my belief because I don't have the time
to do so.

P1: The association within certain communities of the word "reliability"
to mean exclusively "statistical/probabilistic assessment/prediction"
has significantly hindered communication with the public at large, and
with other communities.

P2: When one person (call him Jack) hears another person (call her Jill)
use a word W, Jack nearly always assumes that Jill's intended definition
of W is the same definition that he would intend in the same sentence.

P3: Quite often the practical effect of P2 is that Jack and Jill end up
in a quarrel, with each convinced the other is wrong / stupid / ignorant
/ uninformed / pig-headed / ... .  (Rather than cooperating to fetch a
pail of water, Jack and Jill throw water on one another.)

P4: Forcing another person to adopt your own personal style of
argumentation, rather than adopting your style to match the other
person's style, is probably rightly called a form of intellectual
bullying.  Or at the very least, it is rightly called a lack of social
skills.

--
cMh [ C. Michael Holloway | Senior Research Engineer | NASA Langley
Research Center, MS 130, Hampton VA USA | Tel: +1.757.864.1701 ]

The words in this message are mine alone; neither blame nor credit NASA
for them.