[SystemSafety] Does "reliable" mean "safe" and or "secure" or neither?

Smith, Brian E. (ARC-TH) brian.e.smith at nasa.gov
Mon Apr 25 01:13:47 CEST 2016

Michael,

I, too, follow this list routinely.  It’s like a graduate course in system safety.

Of particular interest are the unique challenge of verifying and validating the performance of increasingly autonomous aerial vehicles.  I’ve been intrigued by the contrasts between industrial “safe states” achieved by closing a few key valves in a nuclear power plant, for example, and those more significant challenges posed by autonomous ground vehicles operating in 2-dimensional space with novel threat environments.  To achieve the promise of “assured autonomy” needed for aerial vehicles not in direct control of human operators, the V&V space may be much larger (as some on this forum have observed).

The semantics of the terms that are the topic of this particular thread are all being debated in the Unmanned Aerial Systems community.

Your points P1 to P4 are well taken.

I really resonate with Phill Koopman’s paper, Challenges in Autonomous Vehicle Testing and Validation.

Brian E. Smith
Special Assistant for Aeronautics, Human Systems Integration Division, NASA Ames Research Center

Never let an airplane or a motorcycle take you somewhere your brain didn't go five seconds earlier.

Michael’s proviso also apples to the content of this message.