[SystemSafety] automobile software

Chris Hills safetyyork at phaedsys.com
Fri Apr 29 12:23:09 CEST 2016

Hi All

(having stired the hornets’ nest by started the thread on the  definition of reliable SW )

Can I ask that we stop referring to software “bugs” but call them software ERRORS  They are an error and that does not have quite the same dismissible cute association of “bugs”

Part of the problem (with the industry and wider public)  is the perception and acceptance that all software has bugs.  I think there will be a less forgiving nature  or acceptance if we face reality and say “software errors”    It may be semantics but try the tweet below

“After a lengthy talk with @ Chevrolet management they admitted they DO NOT acknowledge SW Errors: they are By DESGN @mtbara really?

Not acknowledging errors gives a different impression that not acknowledging the  “bugs” that  everyone has in software. Also saying SW errors are by design is going to be interesting to defend.

Regards

   Chris

Phaedrus Systems Ltd

FREEphone 0808 1800 358    International +44 1827 259 546
Vat GB860621831  Co Reg #04120771
Http://www.phaedsys.com <http://www.phaedsys.com/>   chills at phaedsys.com