[SystemSafety] automobile software

Les Chambers les at chambers.com.au
Fri Apr 29 22:59:51 CEST 2016

Good luck with redefining "bug" Chris. It's gone into the language and is an integral part of "the common work of the tribe". The most important mission of a definition is to convey meaning, juice up the imagination and to trigger action. We've known for millennia that the best way to achieve this is with strong metaphors. American poet Robert Frost stated it cleanly: "a metaphor explains this in terms of that where this is new and that is familiar". Most normal people have a problem completing a sentence without using a metaphor of some kind. Bug achieves its mission by associating the software error with something insidious, creepy crawley, filthy, itchy, scratchy, destructive, disease carrying, scary and unwonted. Error is far too clinical and has no emotional charge.

"Technical debt" is another fantastic example of a definition wrapped in an effective metaphor. I covered the concept once in a seminar with some high-ranking air force officers. It wasn't the first time they've heard it but they were grateful for some positive reinforcement on using the term. As it happened they were about to enter a management meeting to discuss that very concept. They were about to inherit some "buggy" software from a subcontractor and they knew it was going to cost them on into the future. How to represent that reality to non-technical senior military officers? Technical debt resonated with everyone (everyone's got a mortgage). The meeting title was changed to include those words so everyone started on the same page, imaginations appropriately juced.

This raises another of my favourite subjects: there's what's defined in the standard and then there's what's in common use. Standards developers should recognise that "what's in common use" often represents valuable experience and should be incorporated into the standard even though it may sound "rough and all-unable". One can go too far though I suppose, for example redefining "anomaly" as "cluster f..k" (I cite: Clint Eastwood, Movie: Heartbreak Ridge).

But there you go.

Cheers

Les