[SystemSafety] Safety and Cybersecurity: A Dispute

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Tue Dec 20 07:10:27 CET 2016

On 2016-12-20 06:54 , Drew Rae wrote:

> I was just referring to the ones with direct effect on safety (or on operations in a safety-related
> way).

Sure, that's what I understood. I'd like to know where the info comes from, because I can't find it
and I think it's important stuff for all safety engineers to know. Web sites such as Hackmaggedon
don't distinguish by sector, and reports such as by Symantec only partly.

And all such statistics are dependent on ontologies, which are often implicit. For example, to count
the attack on the Ukrainian grid a year ago as one attack, or as a plethora of attacks using
multiple attack vectors? If you are a government policy maker, you'd probably count one. If you are
a systems engineer responsible for system defences, probably the plethora.

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
MoreInCommon