[SystemSafety] Functional hazard analysis, does it work?

Matthew Squair mattsquair at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 01:42:37 CET 2016

A question to the list.

Does the process of functional hazard analysis 'work' in terms of
identifying all functional hazards that we are, or should be, interested
in?

The way the FHA process is defined in the various standards seems IMO to be
very reductionist in nature, fine for identifying the specific consequences
of a single functional failure mode, but what about functional
interactions, multiple functional failures, the interaction of modes with
functions and so on.

The background to this is that the project I'm working with is about to
commit to a significant campaign of 'FHA'-ing. So we're engaged in a little
bit of professional navel gazing about the efficacy of the technique before
we commit to the campaign.

--
*Matthew Squair*

BEng (Mech) MSysEng