[SystemSafety] Functional hazard analysis, does it work?

paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk
Tue Jan 19 02:24:49 CET 2016

On 19/01/2016 at 12:42 AM, "Matthew Squair" <mattsquair at gmail.com> wrote:

>A question to the list.
>
>Does the process of functional hazard analysis 'work' in terms of
>identifying all functional hazards that we are, or should be,
>interested
>in?
>
>The way the FHA process is defined in the various standards seems
>IMO to be
>very reductionist in nature, fine for identifying the specific
>consequences
>of a single functional failure mode, but what about functional
>interactions, multiple functional failures, the interaction of
>modes with
>functions and so on.

Your impressions are correct in that just doing FHA would focus too much
on just the hazards associated with the functionality. In a full HAZOP to
identify the hazards that must be addressed, you also need to consider a
range of risks associated with the operational environment, the personnel
of all types who will interact with the system (and their tasks) and a number
of potential natural hazards that may occur. My HAZOP kick-off check-list is
5 pages long which can prompt us to ask the right sort of questions. It was
initially listed in Def-Std 00-55 or 00-56 but I have added a few more to it
since adopting it as a starting point about 20 years ago.

>The background to this is that the project I'm working with is
>about to
>commit to a significant campaign of 'FHA'-ing. So we're engaged in
>a little
>bit of professional navel gazing about the efficacy of the
>technique before
>we commit to the campaign.

Just don't let them rely on the FHA alone. It is a useful sub section of a full
HAZOP but you need to explore a much wider scope than the hazards posed
by the functionality alone.

>--
>*Matthew Squair*
>

>BEng (Mech) MSysEng