[SystemSafety] Functional hazard analysis, does it work?

andy loeblas at comcast.net
Tue Jan 19 02:25:43 CET 2016

Dr. Squire;

I have had these same kinds of questions in the past.  I have studied the relationship between probabilistic and non-probabilistic risk assessment mostly as a result of a project I worked on for the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission regarding digital systems reliability versus non-digital systems for safety critical power reactor control.  I have also studied the statistical work executed by the London folks on common cause failure and defense in depth.  I believe probabilistic risk assessment is a bureaucratic, reductionist, and none to complete analysis of risk assessment focused on a “guns and guards” mentality dominant in the USA.  I have written, 3 or 4 years ago, white papers on my conclusions and readings and done some graphic representations of the NRC regulations on common cause failure.  I have studied Nancy Leveson’s systems approach and taken her week long course, also 3 or 4 years ago, and I have developed a favorable disposition towards her conclusions.  My white papers were written to keep my own thinking organized and I can look for any of the products I developed for this purpose as well as share my bibliographies with you, although some of the documents from the city college folks in England were given to me as a professional courteousy and these references might be listed but not available for re-distribution according to my agreement.

Let me know if any of this would be useful to you.  It will take me a week or two to relocate the digital versions of this stuff.

andy