[SystemSafety] a public beta phase ???

Martyn Thomas martyn at thomas-associates.co.uk
Sun Jul 17 16:08:57 CEST 2016

On 17/07/2016 14:11, paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk wrote:
> One ought to bear in mind what the ultimate target is for developing these
> autonomous vehicle technologies.

Is it, perhaps, to generate profits for shareholders and tax revenues
for Governments, rather than saving lives? If so, a major criterion will
be what customers are willing to pay for. If a manufacturer offered a
(non autonomous) car in which it was impossible to exceed the speed
limit, arguing that this would save lives, I doubt that many people
would buy it.

And although breaking the speed limit is an offence and the technology
to limit speed exists, politicians have not legislated that it must be
introduced.

I think that manufacturers and the market will decide what is safe
enough, and ignore any sage advice we may offer.

Martyn