[SystemSafety] a public beta phase ??? [No Classification]

GRAZEBROOK, Alvery N alvery.grazebrook at airbus.com
Fri Jul 22 14:04:29 CEST 2016

> > radar reflector idea has merit.
>
> Don't you have to keep them pretty clean? That's not going to work well on British cars.......
>
> What about RFID short-range transponders?
>
> PBL
[]
Typically you put Radar reflectors inside plastic canisters which are transparent to the radio frequency range used. The reflective surfaces remain clean, and any muck on the outside just attenuates the signal a bit. The main problem with them is that they have to be a multiple of the wavelength of the radar. So for a 25-40 GHz radar, wavelength is of the order of 10mm, so minimum size - probably at least 30mm sphere. Easy to design-in, harder to retrofit and maintain aerodynamics and aesthetics.

Short-range transponders would be smaller, but require energy.

Cheers,
	Alvery

** opinions are my own, not necessarily those of my employer **

This email and its attachments may contain confidential and/or privileged information.  If you have received them in error you must not use, copy or disclose their content to any person.  Please notify the sender immediately and then delete this email from your system.  This e-mail has been scanned for viruses, but it is the responsibility of the recipient to conduct their own security measures. Airbus Operations Limited is not liable for any loss or damage arising from the receipt or use of this e-mail.

Airbus Operations Limited, a company registered in England and Wales, registration number, 3468788.  Registered office:  Pegasus House, Aerospace Avenue, Filton, Bristol, BS34 7PA, UK.