[SystemSafety] COTS display certification

Haim Kuper h3k at 012.net.il
Mon Jul 25 18:04:37 CEST 2016

Dear System Safety List Members,

We need to develop and certify a Ground Control Station (GCS) that controls
an avionic platform.
The GCS contains an In-house-developed Control Computer (CC) and a COTS
Display.
Hazard's analyses of the GCS showed that we need to develop and certify to
DAL-B.
Regarding the display:
 1 - It's usually a problem to verify World-coordinates to
Display-coordinates conversion results-on-screen so that the operator will
be 100% sure that the symbol is exactly on the correct spot (on the world
map/screen).
 2 - I've asked some famous companies (Acer, Samsung, HP, LG) for any
supporting data, such as service history (as shown in DO-178C section 12.3.4
"Product Service History" )  of failure data, any measured or designed-to
reliability figures: IMHO, I'll not get any assistance from them.
 3 - We are checking some safety design mechanisms such as
    a. monitoring using another display
    b. develop some hardware/software/humanware based Built In Tests, and
    c. still looking for a creative idea to tackle this subject

Per your experience, please advise how to certify the COTS display within
the GCS development.

Thanks and Regards,
Haim kuper