[SystemSafety] UK University Fees

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Jun 1 14:06:40 CEST 2016

As engineers, we are concerned about education, I hope, since most of us have a continuing
obligation to engage in it while we practice our career.

The most directly important education for engineers is tertiary: the university or technical course
that establishes the foundations of our professional knowledge.

I have been really concerned about UK tertiary education since a group of politicians with no
non-self-inflicted personal financial worries decided a few years ago that UK tertiary students
should finance their studies through what will for most of them be long-term debt.

It's a massive social experiment, whose precedents are not encouraging, with one of the UK's most
valuable assets. I worry that Britain is shooting itself in the foot.

My latest comment was triggered by a supporting essay on extended fees by Rafael Behr today
https://abnormaldistribution.org/index.php/2016/06/01/university-education-again/

Secondary to the UK political brouhaha du jour, I know. I guess if you're about to jump off a cliff
you might as well shoot yourself in the foot on the way down.