[SystemSafety] UK University Fees

paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk
Wed Jun 1 16:47:57 CEST 2016

On 01/06/2016 at 1:06 PM, "Peter Bernard Ladkin" <ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:

>As engineers, we are concerned about education, I hope, since most
>of us have a continuing
>obligation to engage in it while we practice our career.

[%X]

It is interesting that many Universities are starting to minimise the Lab
Experience for many of their students. I know running labs has a
significant cost to it but since the fee structure came into effect in the
UK, it has progressively deteriorated. How can you run a proper
Engineering based course without Labs?

At my time of life I happily help spread the word about Engineering and
actively encourage anyone who seeks an Engineering based career to
seek out the options with apprenticeships. Also, encouraging more
companies to offer apprentice placements will help to improve the whole
experience for young minds seeking to become Engineers.

With the modern version of apprenticeships there is a continuing tertiary
education on a day-release basis that, if worked hard at, will usually ensure
continuing support for their continued educational goals well beyond the
duration of an apprenticeship course.

All that said, Universities should be encouraging practical involvement with
labs and project work as well as the academic pursuits.

Yes, the UK Government really needs a bit of a kick to help them realise that
with their meddling over the years they have probably done untold damage
to the system at all levels.

Regards

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET
Systems Engineer