[SystemSafety] Off Topic

Martyn Thomas martyn at thomas-associates.co.uk
Thu Jun 23 10:47:39 CEST 2016

I have voted to Remain in the EU.

The "sovereignty"  issue is mainly muddled thinking. Almost all EU laws
are passed by consensus - a remarkable achievement in a union of 28
states. Almost all are open to national interpretation (consider how the
UK Data Protection Act has ignored the Article 29 Working Party
definition of "personally identifiable data" for a decade and more). The
UK is represented in the Parliament, the Council and the Commission. And
the UK is a country where its citizens are legally /Subjects of the
Crown/ and where the Upper House of parliament is not elected.

More importantly, we need EU countries to stand together to control
other powerful entities - whether these are hostile countries or
multinational corporations. No European country can do that on its own.
So leaving the EU weakens UK sovereignty.

Most importantly, if the UK leaves the EU it will seriously weaken the
EU. That would be a hostile act with consequences that require a
professional hazard analysis before implementation.

Martyn