[SystemSafety] Off Topic

Ross Hannan - Sigma ross_hannan at sigma-aerospace.com
Sat Jun 25 13:03:15 CEST 2016

I completely concur with Andy's post.

Ross

-----Original Message-----
From: systemsafety
[mailto:systemsafety-bounces at lists.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de] On Behalf Of
Andy Ashworth
Sent: 25 June 2016 12:01
To: Peter Bernard Ladkin
Cc: systemsafety at lists.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de
Subject: Re: [SystemSafety] Off Topic

Sent from Andy's iPad

<ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:

>> On 2016-06-25 00:57 , Ross Hannan - Sigma wrote:
>> Although nothing has been decided yet I very much suspect that
>> Britain will go down the EFTA route
>
> Joining EFTA involves not just Britain wanting to join, but others
deciding to want Britain in.

Interestingly, the UK was a founder member of EFTA - the UK's membership,
and that of a number of other countries too, was allowed to lapse on
accession to the EEC. Given the UK was a founder member, denial of
membership now would seem to be punitive and spiteful... if the EU et al are
going to establish punitive policy because of feelings of rejection, then I
would question whether that's an organisation that any country should want
to join.

The impact of this referendum is far reaching - the underlying reasons for
the "no" vote are complex and the media has, on the whole, done a terrible
job at reporting objectively. We need to look deeper at the systemic issues
of society faced by the working class - wage erosion and movement of skilled
and semi-skilled jobs to other areas of Europe has hit traditional industry
hard; the educated professional class, on the other hand, is typically
mobile and able to benefit from European Union.  That the EU is something
that brings benefit is undisputed - the problem is that the benefits are not
equally distributed and there seems to be a huge disconnect between
politicians at the national and EU levels and the working families being hit
hardest by the impact of the EU.

If the EU is to succeed in the long term, the Eurocrats need to take their
head out of the sand and start listening to the everyday impact of the EU on
EU citizens. The UK referendum result may not be the result we want to hear,
but rather than evoking spiteful punitive responses from member states or
for parts of the UK to secede and rejoin the UK in their own right it should
be take as an opportunity to reflect on why the majority of the UK
population wanted to leave.

Andy