[SystemSafety] Making Standards available .....

nfr felix.redmill at newcastle.ac.uk
Sat May 14 11:51:53 CEST 2016

Michael,

You say:
and – if we have the time available to teach functional safety – we should be introducing practical techniques for developing safe systems (and discussing various case studies).

I have found that a problem of considerable magnitude in the “education” of students in functional safety is that it is not education at all. It is training, based almost entirely on techniques. Students could usefully be introduced to techniques but, mainly, they need to UNDERSTAND, and, therefore, to have a sound foundation of PRINCIPLES.

Too much decision making in our field is done by people who lack understanding and rely almost entirely on techniques. If our students are to do better than that, and to improve practice in the field, they need to be taught not just practice but also principles and, indeed, how to base the choice of techniques on principles.

Felix.