[SystemSafety] Tram Accident in Croydon

Robin Cook robincook107 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 15:22:53 CET 2016

Many thanks Dick,

A link to an interesting initial status report.

I agree with comments that we should always be looking to maximise safety
and minimise the need for human intervention to provide safety.

However we also need to be aware of the operational requirements of the
society in which we live and the commercial realities of transport systems
such as the Croydon Tramlink. I recall that when the Docklands Light Railway
first opened in the late '80s, its passenger stock had bus/tram doors that
swept across the carriage floor on the inside. This was corrected with the
replacement stock in 1992 given that the passenger loading levels were
higher than originally planned for. Different rail systems achieve a
tolerable level of safety in different ways in alignment with their size,
speed, passenger numbers etc. Tram systems are a case in point; much of
their running is open to the public and road vehicles. The creators/managers
of a tram system will have produced their budgets on the basis of tram
safety, not mainline or high-density metropolitan railway safety. What I
would assume, subject to the alternative coming out, is that the Croyden
Tramlink follows the standard UK safety practice for tram operations on the
basis that the Railway Inspectorate will have approved their operation (and
HMRI is not known for approving poor systems).

It may be that safety improvements in the provision of "Tram" services will
be required following the inquiry but these should be well thought through
not knee jerk.

My understanding of driver competence is that drivers are required to know
the route to a level that includes knowing just what the speed limit is and
where it starts even if the sign has gone missing. There are also small
points such as: we should be able to assume that the speed limit was signed
in the same units as the tram speedometer. I would hope that the inquiry
also looks at whether the tram was behind schedule and the driver under
pressure to recover that schedule - management causes.

If we want to be non-pragmatic then we should take motor vehicles off the
road - the reason that the derailment is news is that it is unusual. Modern
society needs tolerably safe transport and the task before the engineering
community is to provide the systems that society needs at a tolerable level
of safety.

Robin Cook