[SystemSafety] Tram Accident in Croydon

Chris Hills safetyyork at phaedsys.com
Sun Nov 20 19:52:11 CET 2016

Catching up

Andrew is correct. The Default ASLEF position (like any insurance company
for car drivers )  is to say: "Not the fault of our insured/ the driver."

They are there to defend their member, just as others will defend their
systems/people. Also ASLEF have a political axe to grind anyway in that part
of the world that, they claim, has a safety element to do with controlling
the doors.

At the moment no one is sure of all the facts. Other than the train, by all
accounts, was travelling  a lot faster than it should have been.

Why it was traveling too fast has yet to be fully established.

If the driver was not conscious, for whatever reason, then it is clear he
could not have been operating the train.  Correctly or incorrectly.

If he was not conscious or in control why didn't the train slow to a stop.
I seem to recall the cab is designed to stop the driver being able to simply
fall onto the dead man's handle  and keep the power on if not conscious.

The question I am curious about is what were the " lack of adequate safety
systems were at the root of this dreadful accident" as I assume the fairly
new(?) tram system was to current specifications using reasonably current
equipment?

Regards

   Chris

Phaedrus Systems Ltd

FREEphone 0808 1800 358    International +44 1827 259 546
Vat GB860621831  Co Reg #04120771
Http://www.phaedsys.com <http://www.phaedsys.com/>   chills at phaedsys.com