[SystemSafety] Partly Off Topic: What Happens in October [No Classification]

Barnes, Robert A (NNPPI) Robert.Barnes2 at rolls-royce.com
Tue Oct 18 13:11:11 CEST 2016

This message has been marked as No Classification by Barnes, Robert A (NNPPI)

This is quite a specific example and I'd argue that, if the security case rests on a single point of failure in non-assured software, something has gone horribly wrong in the design and development of this system!

Defence in depth has become an accepted principle in safety engineering, and it is just as valid in security.  There should be no single point or perimeter, the failure of which would lead to the system becoming insecure; this is the same that there should be no single point of failure in a system that leads to an unsafe condition.  Arguably, in your example, these are one and the same as an insecure system of this nature can't be safe, right?  So who has dropped the ball?

-Rob