[SystemSafety] A Common Programming Language for the Department of Defense

Derek M Jones derek at knosof.co.uk
Wed Apr 26 18:41:42 CEST 2017

All,

The rationale for the DOD using one language for
all its software is throughly explained in the following
excellent post:
http://archive.adaic.com/pol-hist/history/holwg-93/holwg-93.htm

The viewpoint expressed in this paragraph (which I don't think
is true, for hardware {at least after the 60s} or software):
"Another factor in the decision was that at that time, the DoD had a
greater influence on software technology than on hardware. Some years
previous, the DoD was the major innovator and consumer of the most
sophisticated computer hardware possible. By 1974 the DoD represented
only a small fraction of the total commercial market. In software, that
unique position still existed. A significant fraction of the total
software industry was devoted to DoD related programs..."
goes someway to explaining why the DOD went down this path and failed.