[SystemSafety] Is risk engineering an art?

Chris Hills safetyyork at phaedsys.com
Thu Aug 24 13:05:51 CEST 2017

Ever since I started doing presentations on embedded systems (over a couple
of decades now)  I have used the following on my slides and technical
papers:

The art in embedded systems
comes through
Engineering discipline.

You only have to look at modern architecture. The architects  have to abide
by the Laws of Physics, the Laws of Engineering,  National Building
Regulations, Local Building Regulations, Electrical Regulations, Waste
Management Regulations, Environmental Regulations,  Safety Regulations and
in some cases Security Regulations.  However if you look at the shard,
gherkin, Lloyds etc you tell me there is no art in them!

It *IS* Science and Engineering but the application can have an art to it.

You can have Engineering without art. It works.  It just may not have the
"happy feel" to it or be uplifting.

However art without the Engineering will fail, unless it is a painting.

Regards
 Chris