[SystemSafety] Safety Culture

Matthew Squair mattsquair at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 11:26:35 CET 2017

Just my observations from the field, but I’ve certainly seen that ‘culture’
can interact with designing for safety in interesting ways.

1. Org/product structures and culture. I forget who first pointed it out
but you do find product structure tends to reflect organisatiostructure and
that in turn can introduce issues into the design. For example a very
strongly functionally oriented organisation (culture) will tend to have
problems with transverse and emergent issues, safety being one of these.

2. Cultural tolerance of risk/uncertainty. An organisation scoring low on
Hofstede’s cultural index for uncertainty will be more risk averse and deal
with that risk through the application of hard rules and barriers in
design. I think it unsurprisingly that Boeing and Airbus have come up with
different approaches to flight protection laws given that the US and France
score differently on Hofstede’s index of uncertainty tolerance. The degree
of risk aversion can also drive a culture of ‘I can’t tell you until I’ve
finished the design’ and the associated use of problematic bottom up
techniques such as FFMEA.

3. Not so much a cultural issue but as Weick pointed out organisations
define themselves as much by what they ignore as what they attend to. This
explains why you get supplier world views that are focused on ‘product’
safety (whatever that is) but studiously ignore the operational context of
the end user, human error and dealing with external faults and failures.

4. Contingency. We execute system design through projects and contracts and
much like marriages each one can be unique, and sometimes diabolically so.
Change the people, or the contracts and you change the culture.

These sort of issues explain to some degree the ‘why’ a system might be
designed the way it is. Once you’ve built it of course the laws of logic,
science and mathematics apply.

Regards,

Matt Squair