[SystemSafety] Safety Culture

Littlewood, Bev Bev.Littlewood.1 at city.ac.uk
Mon Dec 11 12:45:06 CET 2017

Dear Matt

I found your comment below intriguing! Could you spell out what you meant in a bit more detail? What are the differences of the design approaches, and of the US/French ‘cultural differences’ - and how do these correlate?

I recall thinking many years ago - at the time of the controversies about the A320 fly-by-wire systems - that the Boeing approach seemed to be to place (more) trust in pilots, to the extent of allowing them, in extremis, to do things that might cause damage to the airplane (in order to save it from a dangerous situation). Whereas Airbus systems prevented such actions, instead placing trust in the automation (e.g. to prevent the airplane getting into a dangerous situation). Decisions taken in anger, in real time, versus decisions taken at design time. But I’m not sure how this reflects cultural difference between the countries. Did you mean something like American individualism versus European collectivism, perhaps? If so, I’m not sure how this reflects different tolerance of risk/uncertainty.

Cheers

Bev