[SystemSafety] A Critical-System Assurance Manifesto

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Mon Dec 11 15:05:14 CET 2017

I have written quite a few papers recently on matters arising out of IEC 61508, which is in a
revision phase. I have distributed them up to now amongst involved colleagues, but decided to
assemble them into a book rather than putting them on the WWW site one by one. It divides into three
areas:

* Statistical Evaluation
* Key Concepts
* Safety and Cybersecurity

and is a couple hundred pages long. It is available chapter by chapter at
https://rvs-bi.de/publications/RVS-Bk-17-01.html  Thank you to Sören Bollmann for installing it. The
first chapter is a version of
https://rvs-bi.de/publications/Papers/SWasBernoulliProcess20150225V3.pdf ; I don't think the rest
have been widely distributed.

It will be enhanced and amended, as I write more and as the discussion progresses.

I shall put another book up shortly, a textbook on System Safety. It shows how to perform practical
hazard analyis (using OPRA and OHA), incident and accident analysis (using WBA) and risk analysis
(using two practical - and actual - examples). It is based almost entirely on examples. There are
exercises at the end of (almost) every chapter based on the example(s) in the chapter.

I think two books is probably enough for one year :-)

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
MoreInCommon