[SystemSafety] Reynobond panelling

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Fri Jun 23 11:40:16 CEST 2017

On 2017-06-23 10:40 , Dominey, Alan (UK) wrote:

> Why do you think that Reynobond FR was utilised (as opposed to Reynobond PE).

I don't. The Guardian and others said that Reynobond PE was used. I don't know how they found that
out but have no reason to think that is incorrect.

Maybe this statement gave you the wrong impression? :

> Many of the initial press articles were indirectly hinting that the panelling was the "cheap stuff", for
> example that polyethelene-core panelling was used instead of the mineral-wool-core version to save less
> than £5,000. It would be well to dispel this impression - I think it is mistaken.

I meant
* that the panelling was not "cheap stuff". It is manufactured by a large, reputable US company to
specifications which they make public (including manufacturing tolerances) and sold throughout the
world;
* that the PE version was used rather than FR in order to save somewhat under £5,000. That seems
like a small sum of money and a poor reason to choose one rather than the other. It seems to be an
exceptionally poor reason if building regulations say the PE version is not to be used on tall
buildings!

Despite reports that the DCLG has said that it is "non-compliant with current building regulations
guidance" in the UK (
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/21/grenfell-tower-16-council-inspections-failed-to-stop-use-of-flammable-cladding
) to use Reynobond PE on taller buildings and Chancellor Hammond telling Andrew Marr last Sunday
something similar, I haven't been able to find a definitive statement on that. At this stage of
knowledge, it could turn out that some people responsible determined that the PE panelling was
adequate. Maybe it was theoretically adequate but the installation method inappropriate. Maybe there
was some confusion as to what the building regulations actually said. We shall see, I suppose, if
the inquiry results are to be public.

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
MoreInCommon