[SystemSafety] Explainability of "Algorithms"

Nick Lusty nl887 at my.open.ac.uk
Wed Jun 28 15:49:25 CEST 2017

Hi Derek,

...or (At least in British English) as described in the OED:

"A procedure or set of rules used in calculation and problem-solving;
(in later use /spec./) a precisely defined set of mathematical or
logical operations for the performance of a particular task."*

*"algorithm, n.". OED Online. June 2017. Oxford University Press.
http://www.oed.com.libezproxy.open.ac.uk/view/Entry/4959?redirectedFrom=Algorithm
(accessed June 28, 2017).

But to be fair, I am sure that Peter seems to be referring to some
informal drift of meaning within the Mathematical/Software/Systems
Engineering discourse community, with which descriptive publications
like the OED and Wikipedia have not yet caught up. It might therefore be
useful to cite where the new definition has been used.

Regards,

Nick