[SystemSafety] Explainability of "Algorithms"

Derek M Jones derek at knosof.co.uk
Wed Jun 28 16:20:09 CEST 2017

Nick,

Thanks for the OED definition.  I'm sure someone in the US will
post the 'competing' definition from the Miriam-Webster dictionary.

> "A procedure or set of rules used in calculation and problem-solving;
> (in later use /spec./) a precisely defined set of mathematical or
> logical operations for the performance of a particular task."*

This definition agrees with Wikipedia in that there is no
requirement on the outcome.

As for Peter's point about explainability.  There is explaining what
and there is explaining why.
Also, what level of detail is going to be required?
http://shape-of-code.coding-guidelines.com/2016/12/21/is-sorting-a-list-of-names-racial-discrimination/

> like the OED and Wikipedia have not yet caught up. It might therefore be

My experience of Wikipedia article edit discussions is that generality
is good.  Everybody has a view and provided wording covers their point
of view they are happy(ish) to go with it.