[SystemSafety] A Common Programming Language for the Department of Defense

Gareth Lock gareth at humaninthesystem.co.uk
Tue May 2 12:07:50 CEST 2017

 From my perspective as an ex-Requirements Manager for the MOD
delivering Defensive Aids Systems for rotary platforms and large fixed
wing aircraft, you can have capability level requirements captured in
the User Requirement Document (URD). These are broad in nature and
definitely not tied to a technical solutions. Technical, system-level
requirements are contained within the Systems Requirements Document
(SRD) which is about passing specific tests, the ways in which these
will be shown to have passed are contained in the Integrated Test,
Evaluation and Assessment Plan (ITEAP) which covers all of the
‘boxes’ as they are integrated into the platform, plus how it will
be programmed and how well it performs ‘on platform’ and not just in
the engineering lab.

When dealing with integrated solutions which make up the capability, the
difficulty is understanding the interactions between the data, the
equipment, the training, the integration and the platform and then
ensuring it still meets the URD requirements. The MOD tries to do this
with lines of development (LODs). Training, Equipment, Personnel,
Information, Policy and Doctrine, Organisation, Infrastructure and
Logistics (TEPIDOIL). A capability is only delivered when all of the
requirements under each of the lines of development are met.

Regards

Gareth Lock
Owner, Trainer and Coach
Human in the System Consulting

M: +44 7966 483832
E: gareth at humaninthesystem.co.uk
W: http://www.humaninthesystem.co.uk
T: @HumaninSystem

Skype: gloc_1002
WhatsApp: +44 7966 483832

sender by email or telephone. This message contains confidential
information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are
not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy
this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have
received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing,
copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents
of this information is strictly prohibited.