[SystemSafety] A Common Programming Language for the Department of Defense

paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk
Tue May 2 12:24:07 CEST 2017

On 02/05/2017 at 10:58 AM, "Michael Jackson" <maj at jacksonma.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>Paul:
>
>Are “Requirements” a description of the stakeholders’ needs,
>purposes and
>desires that the product should fulfil? Or the specification of a
>product that
>will fulfil them? Or are these two just the same thing?

Requirements are the statement of stake-holder needs. Within such a
document I would expect a clearly identified end goal and sufficient
constraint and expectational expression that can be identified and
tested.

It does no good for a requirements specification to say that the resultant
product should use a fast processor. It should, instead, state what the
expected maximum response times should be to user input, the latency
in managing interrupts and other measurable speed criteria.

Out of the stakeholder Requirements, the Technical Specifications are
produced which do focus on the more tangible assets to be provided.
These also should meet the six C's criteria.

Regards

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET
Systems Engineer

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....<email://Paul_E.Bennett@topmail.co.uk>