[SystemSafety] Save on the window cleaning

Chris Hills safetyyork at phaedsys.com
Sun May 21 12:00:08 CEST 2017

I had a similar discussion with  some people re Drones.
There is a world of difference between CCTV and actually being there.

The sensors can't tell the difference between "it's quiet" and "It's too
quiet Lieutenant..."
In the latter, as we all know from Westerns and black and white  WW2 films,
is when the bit part character gets shot/arrow in the chest .

This is not as flippant as it seems. I am sure many of us have been in
situations where there is "something" you can put your finger on".

Removing most of the ATC from the tower is not a problem as they are not
using visuals though the window.   However those who do actually watch the
runways, airfield and weather  will be picking up far more than the CCTV can
show.   For a start all the screens will have to be seriously colour
calibrated and the room will need the other environmental inputs.

An experienced controller intuitively and probably subconsciously  will know
that when the temperature/humidity changes and  the wind changes to a
particular direction (from the markers over there... )and the sky  over the
landscape at 3 o'clock goes to just the right shade of somewhere between
blue green and sort of duck egg depending on the time of day/year/cloud
(can't explain it but I know it when I see it)  that it will affect the
aircraft coming in and there will be turbulence over the threshold in about
3 minutes time for.... well that depends on the precise shade of the sky and
the wind and the "feel" of the air.......

THAT you can't do in a simulator.

Caveat I have not worked in a control tower but I have used simulators and
know the difference between simulation and the subconscious environmental
inputs.  It's when the hairs on the back of your neck tell you something has
changed.  There is a world of difference between a static flight sim and one
where the cockpit actually  moves. (though that has problems of its own)

Regards
   Chris

Phaedrus Systems Ltd
FREEphone 0808 1800 358    International +44 1827 259 546
Vat GB860621831  Co Reg #04120771
Http://www.phaedsys.com  chills at phaedsys.com