[SystemSafety] Access to the SCSC document archive

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Tue Oct 24 10:12:56 CEST 2017

On 2017-10-24 09:45 , SPRIGGS, John J wrote:
> When I contributed work to earlier SCSC symposia, with proceedings published by Springer, the
> agreement my then employer signed gave Springer exclusive rights to the paper as it appeared in the
> proceedings, but we were allowed to publish the same words in a different format on the company
> website – and we did.
I think "allowed" is probably the wrong term. Springer said informally back whenever that it didn't
attempt to enforce its copyright if you did that. And then they got stricter round about the 2012
time frame, which is inter alia why SCSC left them, as I understand it.

Elsevier says in writing somewhere on its WWW site that it does not contest self-publishing by
academics. So that has changed also. I am guessing that it is a response inter alia to the newish UK
requirement for open access for results of government-sponsored research. The publishing house then
doesn't have to implement it itself.

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
MoreInCommon