[SystemSafety] Bursting the formal methods bubble

paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk
Wed Oct 25 15:19:54 CEST 2017

On 25/10/2017 at 2:15 PM, "Derek M Jones" <derek at knosof.co.uk> wrote:

>All,
>
>Formal methods is founded on the idea that mathematical
>work is always, magically, correct.
>
>The mathematics we all learn in school/university has been around
>long enough to be throughly checked, which gives people a skewed
>view of mathematics.
>
>Mathematical work contains mistakes, just like everything else:
>http://scienceblogs.com/evolutionblog/2008/07/21/is-modern-
>mathematics-reliable/
>
>--
>Derek M. Jones           Software analysis
>tel: +44 (0)1252 520667  blog:shape-of-code.coding-guidelines.com
>systemsafety at TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE

There is also the problem that some aspects of System Design are very
difficult to capture in any meaningful mathematical model.

Regards

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET
Systems Engineer
Lunar Mission One Ambassador
Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy.............
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1392-426688