[SystemSafety] Bursting the formal methods bubble

jean-louis Boulanger jean.louis.boulanger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 15:24:29 CEST 2017

> All,
>
> Formal methods is founded on the idea that mathematical
> work is always, magically, correct.
>
> The mathematics we all learn in school/university has been around
> long enough to be throughly checked, which gives people a skewed
> view of mathematics.
>
> Mathematical work contains mistakes, just like everything else:
> http://scienceblogs.com/evolutionblog/2008/07/21/is-modern-
> mathematics-reliable/

I thinks that we have more example of mistake in classical development that
in formal development
yes all method are applied by human and error appear but with formal
methods you have a tool to detect it.
many examples (SACEM, line 14, ...) demonstrated that it work and its
possible to develop a software with a low level of bug ... yes we can do it

with ADA, C .... C++ or JAVA and C# its more difficult to develop a
software with a very low level of bug ...

> --
> Derek M. Jones           Software analysis
> tel: +44 (0)1252 520667  blog:shape-of-code.coding-guidelines.com

Mr Jean-louis Boulanger