[SystemSafety] McCabe¹s cyclomatic complexity and accounting fraud

Steve Tockey Steve.Tockey at construx.com
Wed Apr 18 17:24:55 CEST 2018

Les,

“... I am in furious agreement. BUT we can’t ignore the reality that this is a common occurrence, has been for decades and is not improving. ”

I think there is still hope. For most of those decades the function of the software was “non-essential”. It didn’t matter much if the game crashed and erased your high score. But software is being used for much more critical purposes: medicine, finance, etc. At least the Avionics and Medical software people have a clue of what making better software is about. That can be used as a model, for when the others realize how much they can be liable for if their software fails. Baby steps, yes, but steps nonetheless.

“We got rid of the ‘go to’, now it’s time to get rid of source code altogether. Replace it with executable models. This is why I am so excited about state engines.”

Yes, at a minimum. But we usually need more than just state machines.

“Wear snow shoes Steve, build better tools”

And write books on said tools? (Smile)

Cheers,

— steve