[SystemSafety] Looking for information about safety-critical software faults in road vehicles

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Tue Aug 21 13:48:15 CEST 2018

On 2018-08-20 21:01 , Mario Gleirscher wrote:

> One of our conclusions was that quality of root cause documentation in
> case reports is varying drastically across domains.
With over two decades experience in RCA with WBA, I can agree that the quality of RCA varies hugely
- within domains as well as across domains. Commercial aviation is reputed to have one of the most
effective RCA reporting regimes, thanks to ICAO Annex 13, but in fact there are half a dozen
experienced aviation-accident-investigation agencies and the other nearly two hundred countries
aren't very good at it at all. We got into it two decades ago because half of what I was reading in
commercial aviation accident reports seemed to have obvious mistakes in it.

It seems still to be the case that few people seem to use any half-way decent methodology, despite
the existence of IEC 62740.

In any case, incident and accident reports are always bound to the ontology chosen (for example,
digital kit taken as physical, rather than separating into HW and SW and other components, which is
another way of phrasing the phenomenon John drew to our attention) as well as the stopping rule used
(which facts are we to take as "basic" and which need to be further explained).

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
MoreInCommon