[SystemSafety] What Tesla says about its autopilot

Andy Ashworth andy at the-ashworths.org
Tue Dec 4 14:23:17 CET 2018

    	Having worked in the auto-industry, on software and hardware, I fear that there are a number of industry-wide approaches that are not supportive of a general improvement to functional safety.
1. The automotive industry focuses on component cost... software is not a traditional component nd does not lend itself to this cost-model. I heard some engineers opine that “software is free” - this was some time ago, admittedly!
2. Historically, a car is a collection of mechanical components that has only limited instances of emergent properties arising from integration (suspension systems being a notable expample of such a mechanical system). Many traditional engineers work in this “component-space” and do not consider functional safety.
3. Senior management is the level from which change needs to be driven... if senior management are from a component-based cost-driven background, getting their buy-in will be difficult.
4. Disruptors such as Tesla could be beneficial in the adoption of revolutionary methods. Does anyone want to persuade Elon Musk to consider a risk-based, systems-engineering approach that optimizes safety at a functional level?
Cheers
Andy Ashworth

    	Get Outlook for iOS