[SystemSafety] What Tesla says about its autopilot

Steve Tockey Steve.Tockey at construx.com
Tue Dec 4 19:28:57 CET 2018

While not exactly the same situation, it does seem like this case can be
used to establish some kind of precedent:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/tesla-autopilot-driver-motorway
-m1-nottingham-a8326911.html

Headline: ³Tesla driver caught turning on autopilot and leaving driver¹s
seat on motorway²

And, later,

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-43934504

Headline: ³Tesla driver banned for M1 autopilot seat-switch²

The driver was, quote ³. . . disqualified for 18 months and must do 100
hours of unpaid work.
He was also told to pay the Crown Prosecution Service costs of £1,800.²

 The driver was not drunk in this case (stupid, yes, but not drunk). One
can only imagine that the penalties in the UK for driving in Autopilot
mode while drunk would be at least this severe.

‹ steve