[SystemSafety] What Tesla says about its autopilot

paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk
Wed Dec 5 00:26:50 CET 2018

I think that the 'drunk while in charge' can apply if you have your car keys in your
possession, even if you are nowhere near the car. Some pub landlords will take
charge of the vehicle keys for the driver, allowing them to collect the next day.

On 04/12/2018 at 6:29 PM, "Steve Tockey" <Steve.Tockey at construx.com> wrote:

>While not exactly the same situation, it does seem like this case
>can be
>used to establish some kind of precedent:
>
>https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/tesla-autopilot-driver-
>motorway
>-m1-nottingham-a8326911.html
>
>Headline: ³Tesla driver caught turning on autopilot and leaving
>driver¹s
>seat on motorway²
>

>And, later,
>
>https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-43934504
>
>Headline: ³Tesla driver banned for M1 autopilot seat-switch²
>
>The driver was, quote ³. . . disqualified for 18 months and must
>do 100
>hours of unpaid work.
>He was also told to pay the Crown Prosecution Service costs of
>£1,800.²
>

> The driver was not drunk in this case (stupid, yes, but not
>drunk). One
>can only imagine that the penalties in the UK for driving in
>Autopilot
>mode while drunk would be at least this severe.
>

>‹ steve

Regards

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET
Systems Engineer
Lunar Mission One Ambassador
Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy.............
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: Due to relocation - new number TBA. Please use Mobile.