[SystemSafety] A Fire Code for Software?

Tom Ferrell tom at faaconsulting.com
Wed Mar 7 14:59:14 CET 2018

As with so many things, I would contend that MBDV helps in some ways and hurts in others.  While I share many of Michael’s angst over DO-331 (along with just about every other output of that committee). I do feel there is value in the overall concept of MBDV.  Specifically, if done well, it allows for a much easier to understand representation of the system/software allocation and helps to ensure the transformation at that boundary is both complete and accurate.  It also enables the possibility for dynamic execution of the model in such a way that architectural issues such as invalid state machine transitions and impacts of problems with I/O can be located early.  Of course, all of this is dependent on the fidelity of the model and should never be taken as wholesale proof that the final implementation is correct.  The major downside of MBDV is by using abstraction, often many levels of it, the engineers may not understand or more likely even consider the types of defects that can arise in the underlying code.  This is particularly troublesome given the increasing reliance on autocode generation, especially when this model to code transformation is not done using formal methods to ensure the correctness of that transformation.  Just as with so many other possible ‘silver bullets’ brought forward in the software engineering domain, there is a major need to ‘trust but verify’ the output of the tools.