[SystemSafety] A Fire Code for Software?

C. Michael Holloway c.m.holloway at nasa.gov
Wed Mar 7 13:52:43 CET 2018

On 2018-03-06 (15.41.49), Steve.Tockey at construx.com wrote:
> “Model based software development, accountancy packages, stress
> analysis packages, etc. - all contribute to the diminution of
> understanding in the user base.”
>
> What is your definition of “model based software development”?
> According to my definition, exactly the opposite is true: “Lack of
> model based software development contributes to the diminution of
> understanding in the user base”
Over the many years I've been a subscriber to this list and its
predecessors, I've read many statements with which I disagree, usually
without responding. To the best of my memory there's ever been a
statement with which I have disagreed more than the last sentence above.
To the extent that there exist good ideas in "model based software
development" they are nothing more than renaming of ideas that are
almost as old as I am. To the extent that it does differ from
established practices, it differs in ways that are detrimental to
understanding, coherence, and competency.

Consider for example, DO-331 "Model-Based Development and Verification
Supplement to DO-178C and DO-278A". It is 136 pages long, some 126
longer than it needed to be to provide adequate guidance for the
subject. It is, being charitable, often incoherent. Of several regrets
about my actions during SC-180/WG-71, the biggest is not trying even
harder to prevent the approval of this document by the committee. Having
an anti-MBDV supplement text message displayed on the Staples Center
scoreboard during a Lakers game was cool, but not enough. :-)

--
All the best,
*C. Michael Holloway* (cMh)

Verba volant, scripta manent
spoken words fly away, written words remain

(The words in this message are mine alone;
neither blame nor credit NASA for them.)