[SystemSafety] A Fire Code for Software?

andy at the-ashworths.org andy at the-ashworths.org
Mon Mar 12 00:06:03 CET 2018

On Behalf Of Les Chambers

Les wrote: ' My solution is to do what humanity has always done to deal with
largeness and complexity where consistency of outcome is critical. We
increase the level of formality in what we are doing and support
construction with tools. So my response to those who complain about "plug
and pray" is, "try harder because it is the only way out." '

My concern with trying harder is that when someone is a lone voice, the
effort required is already immense. Personally, I reached breaking point and
my mental health was compromised and I am no longer working on this project
in order to preserve what little sanity I have left. Having left this
project, I am now in a much happier and healthier place. I find it ironic
that working in a role focused on safety can jeopardise someone's health and
well-being.

We should recognise that individuals cannot effect change in a major project
unless management are willing to listen - on my most recent project,
management were only concerned with schedule and cost and there was no
willingness to consider a way of working that differed from their past
experience. this unwillingness was despite the fact that the customer called
up a standard that would have greatly helped move the project towards a more
system oriented approach. It is not just the culture of the engineers we
need to change, but that of project management too.

Les wrote:  ' I'd encourage people currently working on yet another industry
standard to accept that we have enough of them, what we need is better tools
to assist with compliance. Industry standards drive culture, tools ensure
that cultural imperatives are actually realised in end products. '

I agree in part with this - we need a cultural shift to get people to adopt
the current standards (as per previous comment, managers of major
infra-structure projects are more likely to do what they've done before ,
rather than adopt a new process compliant with one or more "new" standards).
However, if the current body of standards are not being adopted, the authors
need to consider the underlying reason. if the standards are not practical
then maybe the standards should be re-written, rather than writing
completely new standards that add to existing body.

Andy