[SystemSafety] A Fire Code for Software?

W.L. Mostia wlmostia at msn.com
Tue Mar 13 04:48:51 CET 2018

" From what Bill Mostia described, the solution seems obvious. Everyone should get all their software engineered in Texas."

I never proposed that what Texas was doing was "the solution" to the issue of producing high quality and safe software but rather what Texas is doing in this regard.  I personally believe it is to the better. Whether licensing of software engineer will result in improved software design is a controversial subject, particularly for those engineers who do not have a PE.  I have been a PE for 35 years and have seen both sides of the argument.  Two of the lasting effects of me getting a PE license were 1.) I should be able to provide a written technical basis of my designs and design decisions to my peers (if asked) and if I cannot, then the design is not valid and something else should be done and 2.)  I should be able to justify my designs in a court of law, if required.

Holding people responsible for their designs is part of the solution.  When engineers (and programmers, and software developers for that matter too) can hide in the background and not be held responsible for their designs allows software mediocrity and incompetence to exist, which is a danger to us all particularly in the growing ubiquitousness of software in our lives.

William (Bill) L. Mostia, Jr. PE
ISA Fellow, FS Eng. (TUV Rheinland)
WLM Engineering Co.
281-728-3722