[SystemSafety] Collected stopgap measures

paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk paul_e.bennett at topmail.co.uk
Fri Nov 2 13:38:39 CET 2018

On 02/11/2018 at 11:25 AM, "Peter Bernard Ladkin" <ladkin at causalis.com> wrote:

>Some points concerning safety and SW.

[%X]

>A risk analysis must be performed (hazard identification, hazard
>analysis - basically the
>assignation of a severity to each hazard, and some estimate of
>likelihood, then risk assessment, the
>combination of likelihood with severity). "Society" sets the
>acceptable risk, per hazard.

I think all of us on this list appreciate the need for the risk assessment
to be performed. However, there is a class of system out there where
such risk assessment has not been performed and because the
developers had not performed the risk assessment, they unkowingly
release a system into the wild that somehow causes harm.

How many normal courses in engineering routinely direct the participants
to the idea that a risk assessment should be performed regardless of
whether or not someone thinks the system may become safety related
or is benign.

There is a big wide world of people out there that have no clue of this and
we need to have a mechanism by which we educate the rest. Knowing that
we will likely fail in that regard for any but a small proportion. To this dilema,
I have no answer except that I try through my efforts in schools as a STEM
Ambassador, to introduce the concept of risk assessment for the young.

Regards

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET
Systems Engineer
Lunar Mission One Ambassador
Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy.............
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: Due to relocation - new number TBA. Please use Mobile.