[SystemSafety] Collected stopgap measures

paul cleary clearmeist at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 3 20:01:58 CET 2018

Could somebody please explain to me, how there could possibly be more software than hardware on the world?

Paul Cleary

Sent from my iPhone

On 4 Nov 2018, at 00:53, Martyn Thomas <martyn at thomas-associates.co.uk<mailto:martyn at thomas-associates.co.uk>> wrote:

Unfortunately, IES 61508 isn't fit for purpose in a world with far more software than hardware and a large and growing cybersecurity threat. It was a decent standard for the 1980s, when almost nothing else existed.

It can't be fixed because the standardisation process is broken: dominated by industry (because few others can afford to participate fully - or get compensated for the mind-numbing tedium of endless meetings with opposition from people with a different agenda). Industry is good at standardising plugs and sockets, but useless at setting aside commercial interests in the public good.  Which is why 61508 is illogical, unscientific, and irredeemable. Public good standards should be written by independent experts, throwing down the gauntlet to industry to decide whether or not to follow the standard.

Martyn