[SystemSafety] Collected stopgap measures

Derek M Jones derek at knosof.co.uk
Sat Nov 3 20:25:22 CET 2018

Paul,

> Could somebody please explain to me, how there could possibly be more software than hardware on the world?

What is software and what is hardware?

If software were represented with photons and hardware with other
subatomic particles, then Einstein's famous formula: E=mc^2
shows we can convert hardware into software :-)

The Bekenstein bound places an upper limit on the amount of software
(treated as information) that can be present on Earth (at least without
undesirable things happening):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bekenstein_bound