[SystemSafety] Collected stopgap measures (Hoare)

Roderick Chapman roderick.chapman at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 16 11:54:14 CET 2018

On 16/11/2018 10:31, Martyn Thomas wrote:

> Echoes of the great Tony Hoare: How Did Software Get So Reliable
> Without Proof? <https://www.gwern.net/docs/math/1996-hoare.pdf>
There are plenty of examples (including those cited by Paul) of software
which has evolved ultra-reliability (and some concensus of
"requirements") over
decades, with hundreds of releases and millions of users.

At the other end of the spectrum, we build systems that have to be
demonstrably fit-for-purpose at the point of first deployment.
You get one release and no chance of patching... Typhoon PFCS is an
obvious example, but I'm sure there must be lots of others.

Paul - how would you go about building and justifying such a system?
  - Rod