[SystemSafety] Collected stopgap measures

DREW Rae d.rae at griffith.edu.au
Sat Nov 17 11:13:48 CET 2018

Peter,

Boehm's discussion of the models  and his empirical work on software estimation are not the same thing, and don't have the same evidence status.

His large body of work that you were claiming as evidence that controlled comparisons were unnecessary is all about size, time and cost estimation,

not about efficacy of practices.

I have no idea why you think Knight and Leveson's experiment is evidence that comparisons are a bad idea. A comparison is exactly what they did. If anything,

the amount that a toy experiment with a few groups of students get cited or used in arguments just shows how thirsty the software engineering world is

for anything that looks like proper evidence.

I remain amused that you are happy to call comparative evaluation of practice an unrealistic ideal just because hardly anyone does it, but you want to accuse

the entire software world of malfeasance just because they won't adopt practices they consider unrealistic.

Drew