[SystemSafety] Collected stopgap measures

Paul Sherwood paul.sherwood at codethink.co.uk
Sat Nov 17 16:46:16 CET 2018

On 2018-11-16 23:35, Peter Bernard Ladkin wrote:
> I find this emphasis on some "proper" way to collect reliable
> statistics on the effectiveness of
> software development to be a little odd. Barry Boehm has written two
> rather large books, one 37
> years ago, and a follow-up a couple of decades later, establishing
> some basis on which companies can
> obtain useful objective quantitative information on their software
> development processes.

Just because Boehm's works are rather large, and widely cited, doesn't
make them correct.

Laurent Bossavit went all the way down to the bottom a couple of the
rabbit holes in [1], and from that research Boehm was apparently just as
prone to fallacious thinking as the rest of us.

[1] https://leanpub.com/leprechauns
[2]
https://books.google.com/books?id=6LcpBgAAQBAJ&lpg=PA108&ots=nwZPxDa08M&dq=leprechauns%20boehm&pg=PA107#v=onepage&q=leprechauns%20boehm&f=false