[SystemSafety] Medical devices (UK / EU)

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at causalis.com
Mon Nov 26 10:41:18 CET 2018

On 2018-11-26 07:59 , Michael J. Pont wrote:
> This news report may be of interest to some on this list:
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46337937

Yes, the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists, with which The Guardian, NYT, and
Asahi Shimbun and I think the Süddeutsche Zeitung are partnered, has released a number of reports.
One in The Guardian today is
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/nov/25/revealed-faulty-medical-implants-harm-patients-around-world

Only some of the reports concern electrotechnical devices. Medical devices are regulated differently
in terms of safety from others. Some electrotechnical standards are in the IEC 60601 series. But
each country has its own approval procedures for such devices as well. When I look at the IEC WWW
site there are a number of TCs with responsibility for various features of medical devices:
https://www.iec.ch/perspectives/government/sectors/medical_devices.htm

I have some information about pacemakers from one colleague who works for one of the few companies
who make them. From what he has described, his company's procedures are pretty much a paradigm for
dependable digital kit. FM on the code and HW; detailed analysis of each and every "event" which
occurs with one of their users, as well as following events which occur to users of other companies'
equipment.

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Bielefeld, Germany
MoreInCommon